Be My Eyes – Free App To Help The Visually Impaired
What is Be My Eyes?
Be My Eyes is a unique app that caters to visually impaired people by providing sighted volunteers and company representatives to give visual assistance through the use of a live video call.
These volunteers help lend their vision to help with the various tasks that visually impaired people may not be able to handle by themselves. It gives them the opportunity to increase their independence, giving them access to a pool of sighted volunteers that can help provide visual assistance for tasks both big or small.
Be My Eyes volunteers are carefully selected for their patience, empathy and friendliness, and they are always willing to lend a helpful pair of eyes whenever needed.
Some of examples of the type of assistance provided
- Finding small, lost items. An extra pair of eyes can easily find that item you misplaced when you’ve just about given up all hope.
- Art appreciation: having a colourful painting described or the finer details of a fascinating sculpture
- Helping you figure out if colours match in your clothing, and preventing fashion catastrophes.
- Assistance with reading labels on medication and household products
- Helping with reading on PC when screen readers aren’t accessible.
- Assistance with selecting goods in supermarkets.
- Help with figuring out use by dates on consumable goods.
- Assistance with street names and navigation, as well as familiarisation with new locations.
- Help with differentiating similar food items.
- Assistance with figuring out public transport arrival and departure times.
Where to download
The app is available for both Apple and Android.
Visit the Be My Eyes Website
Learn more about DSA Assessments.