DSA funding

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) Funding Application Process

If you’re a disabled student interested in higher education you may or may not be aware that there are multiple funding bodies for the Disabled Students’ Allowance depending on your location or course.

We have compiled a list of DSA funding bodies (below).  It is important to note that there are significant differences in how each funding body processes applications. For more information about these processes, please contact your funding body below:

Student Finance England – Students studying in England on full or part-time courses should apply to Student Finance England unless they are studying a course such as medicine which may be funded by the NHS.  Postgraduate courses may also be funded by Student Finance England unless funded by the NHS or a research council.

Student Finance Wales –  The same rules apply as above however this would be for students living in Wales.

NHS Student Bursaries England – This is for English students studying undergraduate and post-graduate courses funded by the NHS.

NHS Student Bursaries Wales – This is for Welsh students studying undergraduate and postgraduate courses funded by the NHS.

Research Councils – This is for postgraduate students who are funded by research councils

If you are already a student at University, then you can seek guidance from your disability officer on how to properly complete your DSA Application Forms. 

You should also ensure that you always have a copy of any of  the documents that you send to your DSA funding body, as you may need them in future.

It is important to note that although there is no deadline for applications while you are studying, applying for the DSA early will allow you to receive your support earlier in your course.  

Once you have found your funding body learn more about the DSA process.

Change Font Size
Contrast Colours